ORIGIN
This antique Carousel is one of the largest and best remaining examples of a Looff menagerie Carousel. There are approximately 350 carved wooden Carousels still operating in North America and the Lakeside Park Carousel is one of only nine in Canada. Lakeside Park Carousel is considered to be fairly unique in size with 68 characters and 4 chariots in four rows, consisting of jumpers, prancers and standers. Also unique, our horses are all adorned with real horsetails.
The original Looff Lions on the Lakeside Park Carousel were two of five Looff lions carved and the only ones whose heads are turned to face the Carousel onlookers. One was stolen during the 1970’s; the remaining original is a very significant asset in the City of St. Catharines’ art collection. In 2004, the Friends of the Carousel carved an exact replica of the stolen lion so once again we would have two on our Carousel.
1897-1905
Carved in ‘Coney Island’ style, our Lakeside Park Carousel is a Charles I.D. Looff original, carved by the Charles I. D. Looff Company in Riverside, Rhode Island, USA. Animals carved by Marcus Charles Illions, an employee in Looff’s company, are also featured on the Carousel.
1921
The Carousel arrived in Lakeside Park in the Village of Port Dalhousie as the 58th attraction of the Midway Amusement Park. The Midway was owned by the Canada Railway News and the Niagara, St. Catharines & Toronto Railway (NSCTR) – a destination park for passengers travelling via Rail and across Lake Ontario from Toronto on The Dalhousie City or The Northumberland Steam ships bringing over 1 million people to Lakeside Park during the years’ they were in operation.
The Midway Amusement Park was purchased by Mr. Sydney (Sid) Brookson
1950
The Village of Port Dalhousie became a part of the City of St. Catharines
1961
Spearheading a fundraising campaign, Dorothy Crabtree purchased the Carousel from Mr. Brookson. Shortly thereafter on July 17, 1970, she signed the deed to The Carousel over to The City of St. Catharines who promised to honour Mr. Brookson’s two requirements:
· The Carousel would never leave Port Dalhousie
· The Carousel would always be 5¢ a ride
Sometime during the 1970’s the second Looff lion was stolen
1970
The Friends of the Carousel was formed to provide the funding and manpower for the meticulous restorative work of the historic Lakeside Park Carousel’s Characters, Chariots, Scallops, and Shields, while the City of St. Catharines provides us a place to work.
The City of St. Catharines provides and pays for all of the mechanical maintenance/repairs and operations of the Carousel.
Constant repair and maintenance of paint is an annual requirement of the Carousel if it is to remain an amusement ride for our community.
Answering a newspaper notice from The City of St. Catharines inviting anyone wishing to help the Lakeside Park Carousel - The Friends of the Carousel were formed.
1999
The Friends of the Carousel had approximately 19 members. Up until this time, the majority of work that had been done had been re-painting over existing paint and quick repairs to damaged Characters.
Moving forward, under the tutelage of Master Woodcarver Bob Banbury’s expertise, the task began to restore the Carousel to traditional Carousel Guidelines and Standards. Work was done either on the Carousel itself, or in Bob Banbury’s Driveway.
Community Educational and Fundraising programs began and continue today to raise 100% of the funds for The Friends of the Carousel to restore, repair, and maintain the Characters.
2000
The Friends of the Carousel became incorporated
2002
1st annual two-day Festival of the Carousel was held
2003
The ‘Replacement’ Lion was carved
Chariots restoration began, including upholstery
Carved new Scallop edges that are located above the Carousel Art Work
2004
Lakeside Park Carousel’s 100th Birthday
The Friends of the Carousel began supporting a Free Ride Day
Restorers designed and replaced the old stirrups with new ones
2005
The City of St. Catharines began an official Friends of the Carousel Donation Program issuing tax receipts for donations.
2007
Painted all 20 Shields and began painting the garbage cans
2008
The Friends of the Carousel officially completed their restoration work on all 79 Characters and the 4 Chariots.
2009
The first edition of The Lakeside Park Carousel Colouring and Activity Book was produced by The Friends of the Carousel
2012
Public Relations Campaign – Sharing Memories of the Carousel
Volunteer Recruitment; Training & Mentorship
Fundraising programs increase
Niagara Region Schools promotional program